Product Review – Paper Artsy Stamps

I was lucky enough to be sent a pile of the new stamps from the ‘Squiggly Ink‘ range by Paper Artsy (thanks Leandra!). They are available as plain rubber or prestuck to EZ-Mount (saves a lot of hassle) and there are a huge variety of fun doodly/swirly designs.

I have done a couple of projects with them – and I have to say that the quality (as ever with Paper Artsy) is fantastic. Having them premounted on EZ-Mount meant that I was stamping straight away. I tried them with Staz-on, Chalk and Dye inks and they all worked really well. Clean-up was also easy.

They come adhered to a laminated sheet – which protects them well and easy to find when you are rummaging.

Anyway, here are the things that I have made (apologies to my Secret Valentine – but I used them to decorate your card – so I guess that the surprise is spoiled now)

Firstly I did this altered handbag – probably my biggest single project to date!

The handbag is part of the Bare Essentials range from Creative Imaginations and is a good smooth surface on which to work. I traced round the basic shape onto some of the gorgeous new Mira papers from K&Co. Some people have said that they thought they might be a bit too bright. Once you get them home, they are wonderful – zingy and fresh but not in-your-face – if you know what I mean.

Having cut out the papers, I then attacked with my new Paper Artsy Stamps. It was easy to get the design working as they all co-ordinated well.

Then can for the fun part. I inked and dabbered the edges of the handbag. I distressed the edges of my papers using the Tim Holtz tool. I painted the top of the handbag using various Tim Holtz paints – both the dabbers and the new crackle paint (it was easier than trying to fit paper round the handles).

Using mod podge I adhered the papers to the sides of the bag and allowed to dry.

Then I started in with more distress inks and lots of glimmer mists (sugar cookie and gingerbread). I just kept going until I got the effect I wanted.

I finished the look with various fibres from my collection, a tag from the Mira collection (which I decorated front and back with more stamping and glimmer mists).

I took some of my Prima flowers and stamped (using staz-on) over them to tie into the design. More glue held these in place. A couple more squirts of glimmer mists tied them into the overall feel.

I am rather pleased with the result – not bad for a £2.99 pick-up at a Hobbycraft sale.

handbag-1.jpghandbag-4.jpg

handbag-2.jpg

handbag-3.jpghandbag-5.jpg

For the Valentine card, I took 3 different double sided papers from a Bo Bunny Parisian Romance range (I think they came from one of the CSF supporter sites – but I can’t remember which… oops too many papers) and cut them into 5.75in squares. Using a paper folding technique, I scored them into quarters and then scored two adjacent corners along the diagonal so that I could fold one part up into a tag pocket and the other would allow the card to fold flat (I think you should work it out from the pictures!)

I then cut 3 small tags from the papers and got to work with my stamps.

I used a range of Brilliance inks this time alongside a Purple Versafine – co-ordinating the colours to the papers. I used the occasional blast of glimmer mist and edged the papers and tags using Brilliance inks.

Once everything was dry, I assembled it into a mini pop-up tag card. I used lots of DST to hold the three pages together and then stuck some ribbon to the outside to form the closure.

Using one of the papers, I cut covers to hide all the workings. These were edged in a burgundy ink and glued into place – leaving the ribbon free to be tied. I also covered the joint with another strip of paper – to create a more book-like look. A couple more blasts of Black Cherry Glimmer Mist and my task was complete.

It was great fun to work with and I have another one in progress just because!

valentine-2.jpgvalentine-1.jpg

valentine-3.jpgvalentine-5.jpgvalentine-4.jpg

The stamps do work brilliantly for a whole range of themes – doodles and swirls are still a massize part of the design inspiration in crafting at the moment (a lot more so than Oriental IMHO).

I cannot recommend them highly enough – and a big thanks to Leandra for supplying me with them to play with.

You can get them direct from her at www.paperartsy.co.uk

Published in: on March 1, 2008 at 11:57 pm  Comments (4)  
Tags: , , , , , , ,